Yuxin Chen (陈宇新)
Principal Investigater, Associate Professor
Profile: Yuxin got his PhD in Ecology at Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU,中山大学) in 2016. After that he worked as an Associate Researcher at SYSU and a Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Zurich. He joined Xiamen University and started the Lab in 2019.
Research: Biodiversity maintenance, biodiversity-ecosystem functioning relationships, statistical modeling, the diversity of leaf colors, etc.
Editorial Services: Reviewing Editor of eLife (2020 - )
Email: yuxin.chen“AT”xmu.edu.cn or chenyux9“AT”gmail.com
Lei Wang (王磊)
PhD student (2020~ )
Profile: Lei got his master degree in ecology at Fujian Normal University (福建师范大学) in 2019. After that, he worked as a research assistant in the Institute of Urban Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences (中国科学院城市环境研究所).
Research: Biodiversity-ecosystem functioning relationships, carbon and nitrogen cycles in forest ecosystems
Zewei Zhuang (庄泽玮)
Master student (2020~ )
Profile: Zewei graduated from Fujian Normal University (福建师范大学) .
Research: Drought tolerance of tree species, community assembly, biodiversity-ecosystem functioning relationships
12. Yang, J., X. Song, J. Zambrano, Y. Chen, M. Cao, X. Deng, W. Zhang, X. Yang, G. Zhang, Y. Tang, and N. G. Swenson. 2020. Intra‐specific variation in tree growth responses to neighborhood composition and seasonal drought in a tropical forest. Journal of Ecology. [PDF]
11. Chen, J., Y. Luo, Y. Chen, A. J. Felton, K. A. Hopping, R.-W. Wang, S. Niu, X. Cheng, Y. Zhang, J. Cao, J. E. Olesen, M. N. Andersen, and U. Jørgensen. 2020. Plants with lengthened phenophases increase their dominance under warming in an alpine plant community. Science of The Total Environment. [Full text]
10. Huang, F., M. Liang, Y. Zheng, X. Liu, Y. Chen, W. Li, S. Luo, and S. Yu. 2020. Soil nitrogen availability intensifies negative density-dependent effects in a subtropical forest. Journal of Plant Ecology. [Full text]
9. Chen, Y.#, Y. Huang#, P. A. Niklaus,N. Castro-Izaguirre, A. T. Tomas, H. Bruelheide, K. Ma and B. Schmid. 2020. Directed species loss reduces community productivity in a subtropical forest biodiversity experiment. Nature Ecology & Evolution 4: 550-559. (#co-first authors) [Full text; Data; Code] [Behind the paper] [Media: UZH; ScienceDaily; Phys.org; XinhuaNet] [媒体：中国新闻网; 中国科学网; 央广网; 新华网；科技日报；东南网；厦门日报]
8. Luo, S., B. Schmid, C. Wagg, Y. Chen, B. Jiang, M. Liang, X. Liu, and S. Yu. 2020. Community‐wide trait means and variations affect biomass in a biodiversity experiment with tree seedlings. Oikos. [PDF]
7. Shen, Y., M. N. Umaña, W. Li, M. Fang, Y. Chen, H. Lu, and S. Yu. 2019. Coordination of leaf, stem and root traits in determining seedling mortality in a subtropical forest. Forest Ecology and Management 446:285-292. [PDF]
6. Wang, Y., M.W. Cadotte, Y. Chen, L.H. Fraser, Y. Zhang, F. Huang, S. Luo, N. Shi, and M. Loreau, Global evidence of positive biodiversity effects on ecosystem spatial stability in a natural grasslands. Nature Communications 10:3207. [PDF] [媒体：中山大学]
4. Bruelheide, H., Y. Chen, Y. Huang, K. Ma, P. A. Niklaus, and B. Schmid. 2019. Response to Comment on “Impacts of species richness on productivity in a large-scale subtropical forest experiment”. Science 363:eaav9863. [Full text]
3. Huang, Y.#, Y. Chen#, et al. 2018. Impacts of species richness on productivity in a large-scale subtropical forest experiment. Science 362:80-83. (#Co-first authors) [Full text] [F1000 recommendation] [Media: ScienceDaily; TheScientist; Phys.org] [媒体：科学网；中国科技网；中国绿色时报；科学网；搜狐]
2. Chen, Y.#, M. N. Umaña#, M. Uriarte, and S. Yu. 2018. Abundance-dependent effects of neighbourhood dissimilarity and growth rank reversal in a neotropical forest. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 285:20172878. (#Co-first authors) [PDF; Code]
We have positions for graduate students and post-doctoral researchers in 2020 and 2021. If you are interested in biodiversity, plant ecology or community ecology, please email Yuxin (yuxin.chen"AT"xmu.edu.cn) to discuss your suitability in the lab.